Apartment Sizes

We would like to open up a discussion about the size balance of apartments.

There has been a lot of community feedback, especially around the sizing of small apartments. The general consensus seems to be that small apartments are too small.

Should small apartments get a higher tile limit to build on?
Should other apartment sizes also get a higher tile limit to build on?

Current tile sheet balance:
69 small, 169 medium, 369 large, max penthouse

8 Likes

Personally, I would rather keep the size limits that we have now since it has already been established.

Although, I do agree there is a missed opportunity to making the Large Apartments have 420 tiles. If this was to change, I think the Mediums should change too, to 180-240 tiles max. I stand by keeping the smalls at 69 tiles, but there should be a unique feature for smalls to incentivize those who feel like its too small.

I have heard interest in “extensions” or connecting smalls that are in sequence or are in the same wallet. This is the kind of special feature that would make smalls stand out and compensate for those who feel its too small.

14 Likes

interesting, ive seen people design amazing stuff in small apartments and fail to design good spaces to Big apartments im always of the idea that small is better , because the brain is more used to processing small , BUT, i understand the frustration in my opinion medium , large and penthouse should be left alone but maybe bump smalls to 80 / 90? .,

also consider adding a floors system to the apartments? maybe from medium and up , so people can organize better the builds, and have two floors to have private areas upstairs and public downstairs etc

or following Acids idea , maybe if someone has several aparments a feature to stack them in top of one another??.. and create a duplex ( Only With Smalls )

10 Likes

I like the sizes and agree with maybe making some custom items for different sizes. Small appartments might benefit from more small/warm/cozy items while penthouses would benefit from big screens, jacuzzi’s and what not

7 Likes

I think if tile sizes change it would have to be across the board. It could be as simple as a 30-tile increase on each or a certain percent increase. The idea of stacking smalls is interesting but I’m not sure how that would work in the context of the world with apartments assumingly spread across buildings. I’m hoping connections between apartments you own via portals will be available in all sizes.

7 Likes

Would be cool if there was a default min size, and then a max size that could gradually be unlocked by some mechanism in the game (e.g. quests, activities, currency). I like the idea of being able to increase the value of your apartments by playing the game

2 Likes

IRL, small apartments are always a reason to complain that we live in small apartments and want one bigger in the future. So, small apartments here look like real life, and I think it accomplishes the purpose of who has a small, wants a medium. Who has a medium, wants a larage, and goes on.

2 Likes

It gets kinda tricky increasing only one of the apartments tiles size without doing the others. I feel like mediums should be at 420 just for keeping the ongoing NFT community meme that most projects abide to but if we increase one apartment size we must do the same to others.

2 Likes

Make the tile numbers even :eyes:

1 Like

large 420
med 240
small 129

though as a medium apartment holder i’d take any increase ^^

2 Likes

I would like a feature to allow merging of small apartments. So if anyone holds more then one small apartments in a row (like 100 and 101) allow to connect them in the apartment builder. Like its a row house. This would add a unique feature neher seen before and will drive buying away from only floor price action on small apartments because it makes sense then to collect apartment’s based on the number.

I think there’s always gonna be the question of can the small apartments be bigger. i think we can make the increase but it has to be even across the board. The other apartments would need to have similar increases or some sort of added perk (maybe en-suites built in on mediums and large?)

Personally i do think the small apartments feel a little bit cramped so I am for an increase in size

1 Like

I think it would be ok to remain nimble on the size of apartments. As the game expands and more features are baked into what can be done in apartments, appropriate sizes may change. Perhaps we really want everyone to be able to have a bedroom and a questing room to launch into gameplay with their friends, and the current smalls just can’t provide that. Despite this, I think a gov vote of one vote per apartment could have obvious skew of the large quantity of small apartments voting as large a space as they can get, where that may not exactly align with what is best for the project.

Rather than using some arbitrary numbers of how much bigger we think smalls should get, I’d rather see examples or analysis of what the added space could be used for. For example:

• A small can fit a bedroom small kitchen living room and gameroom like a small pad

• A medium allows for an extra guestroom a full kitchen and gallery that can expand your guild, improve your crafting, and get your friends off the couch.

• A large has room for a garage for your mounts and backyard for your pets

• A penthouse has room for a helipad and teleporter

Obviously all fantasy of where this game could go, but I think the logical sizes will change over time as the game develops and see no reason to lock it in immediately.

2 Likes

Based on price each size goes for, the actuality of this is that if Smalls are increased the price will be even more massively off track and the draw to won a larger one lessens, and thus hurts owners of the larger and more exclusive NFTs. IMO smalls should not increase size. In fact if anything Mediums should increase to provide more value to bring the floor price a clear distant above Smalls. If a small is too small for you, buy a medium, the cost difference is not a lot…if you can afford a Small anyway. Same as moving to a new apartment IRL if your current is too small. One can only afford what they can in both digital and real life, but adding value to the NFT class already the best value for resale will only hurt other holders.

2 Likes

I am OC, so 128 smalls is okay with me hehe…

2 Likes

As a Small owner, the current size allotment being an odd number has been frustrating at times.

While I’m all about good fun with the Small’s tile amount as 69. And such is a great onramp to encourage transactions for Mediums.

I’ve found myself ending up builds that only utilize 66 or 68 tiles which feels wasteful. So if it was raised to an even number, like 70, I would be happy.

1 Like

This is all really tricky, I have maxed out smalls and mediums and created the layout I wanted - increase the tiles to 80 for smalls, people will find they can’t max out 80 and use only 77 or something, that’s totally possible.

I would rather keep the “meme” number of 69 and 420 for a large maybe. Odd or even number tiles doesn’t seem important for me.

1 Like

I think keep at 69.

• Constraints result in innovation. While 69 may seem small for a home, it could be perfect for a pied-à-terre, artist loft, office.
  • I imagine smalls in prime areas (The Grid)/buildings will trade premium to many mediums and even some larges. A nicely renovated studio apartment in the West Village of Manhattan >>> a 4,000 sqft house in upstate NY.
  • Forces people to think outside the box, make a plane fuselage, train car, art installation, set up portals and have it be a teleportation station
4 Likes
  • make the feature the ability to charge rent to a roommate :rofl: to get the most to-life-experience of living in a city. mediums/larges/penthouses can only rent the full unit out, but smalls can rent out two beds per bathroom

(Roads?! Where we're going We don't need Roads!!! - YouTube)"

“hmm, feels like small is pretty micro” - Myself to @Spot after sizes were revealed.

The Land in our World is called ‘Apartments’, however I think this has held back the thinking on the relative size to real life Apartments. The Decentraland land size is very small (16mx16m, due to all land parcels needing to be part of the same seamless world. Sandbox (96mx96m) and NFT Worlds(many many times bigger than sandbox) are however significantly larger. This is because Sandbox and NFT Worlds are separate worlds (even if connected on a larger map), and load separately. Webb3 Apartments can also be loaded separately, so therefore should be be restricted by this. We are part of The Metaverse, we should not be constrained by the rules of the real world.

The Apartments will not just be used for Apartments, but Shops, Clubs, Gaming Rooms, and many more.

One thing that should be certain here, if we increase the size of one, we should also increase the relative size of each of the sizes, people may have sold their Small already in disappointment and bought a medium for example.

My suggestion is:
169 Small, (+100)
369 Medium, (+200)
769 Large (+400)
6969 Penthouse (+2969 - think team said it was just 4000 currently due to limit)

This keeps with the 69 trend, and makes them reasonably memorable. There is a higher increase to large, but I would argue this is warranted, as there is 1/5 as many Large as Small, and 1/3 as many Large as Medium). The team has hinted other Utilities to each different size to set them apart in addition to the tile limit.

Disclaimer: I own some of each Apartment type.

11 Likes