Should bigger apartments get more votes?

@cry.eth made a post which sparked this for me: Apartment Sizes - #13 by cry.eth

At the moment, 1 apartment = 1 vote in the snapshot voting mechanism.
An issue here is that users could buy up votes and have more influence than a Penthouse owner which in theory, would have more ‘utility’ in the Worldwide Web3, which is counter intuitive.

We had this conversation internally - should Medium, Large, Penthouse have more votes and should it be weighted and we came to the conclusion that it should be 1 vote per holder.

Until this day.

I would like to reopen the conversation as to whether we should weight voting in snapshot based on the size of apartment held or keep it as 1 vote per holder.

4 Likes

I am not opposed to increasing voting power for larger lands, especially with Penthouses. Penthouses are usually acquired by communities, so it makes sense that a penthouse should have a higher voting power.

Regarding small apartments, to counter anyone with a big holding, maybe set a cap? Like if more than 10 smalls are in one wallet, it can only count as 10 votes (10 apartment cap). Any owner can of course separate it to different wallets for more voting power - its an inconvenience to them, but if they want to make use of all the smalls’ voting power, its something they should do, and at the same time not entirely limiting their votes.

8 Likes

^ 100% agree with this

I think more votes for larger apartments. Had all the apartments been in equal supply, 1 per vote was good, but here, the entire voting rights of the penthouse owner pie is 0.725% which is too low, despite the value and utility being multiple times of the others. Some rationalisation will be good. It should look to balance the voting pie across all 4 sizes. Not equality, but definitely equity will be good.

2 Likes

Good points. I think having the voting power be in relation to quantity of the type of apartment works!

1 Like

I think the least arbitrary method for vote amount would be basing it off of mint price.

mint prices:
small = 0.069
medium = 0.12
large = 0.24
penthouse = 1.00

If small = 1 vote:
medium = 1.74 votes
large = 3.48 votes
penthouse = 14.5 votes

12 Likes

Maybe we can add to this a floor price coefficient at today price, like this it could me more up to date ?

Personally I think mint price makes more sense than current price. Floors are thin on large and penthouses. Sometimes mediums trade 10% premium, other times 50% premium. When do you adjust? If the community was valuable enough and decisions important enough, people may game the floors when the “vote adjustment snapshot” is recorded. Using mint prices is simple and seems fair enough to all parties.

1 Like

We could have a system of activity based powerups. Perhaps all sizes start at a 1x vote multiplier, and as you play and interact the vote power climbs. Larger apartments may have a higher multiplier potential, where for example a small can reach a 2x, a medium a 4x, a large an 8x, and a pent a 32x. Upon transfer or sell, the voting power would restart, but could be salvaged if another same level apartment is acquired again. Different size apartments could level at the same rate, so its more “growing out of your small” than having some advantage because you have a pent.

Involved participants would see their voices grow and be encouraged by their increased interest translating to more vote in the project. Making the power non-transferrable seems like it would make sense to give increased voice to those that have earned rather than purchased it, while being salvageable gives grace to those that may choose to exit and come back later without losing progress.

1 Like

This is an obvious issue. ERC-20 (Fungible) Token DAO’s are 1 vote per token, and therefore the monetary cost to buy 1 vote is always the same. In the last 2 governance votes, it has been 1 vote per apartment, and this is clearly not what makes sense. If you want to swing the vote, you can simply buy up Smalls. It is obviously unfair to higher size Apartments.

Mint Price: IMO the mint prices were arbitrary, and especially the mint price of Penthouse (1 ETH) vs Large (0.24) would mean that Penthouse would only get 4x the vote power of a Large, despite the ratio suggesting it would theoretically be worth 14.4927536232 (1000/69).
Small = 1
Medium = 1.74
Large = 3.4
Penthouse = 14.4

Floor: This makes some sense, and would give us this:
Assuming small = 1 vote
Medium = 2/1.7 = 1.22
Large = 5.38/1.7 = 3.16
Penthouse = 60/1.7 = 35.

Obviously you can’t have fractional votes, so perhaps it could be rounded up to 1, 2, 4, 35. The reason Smalls and Mediums are so close in value is because there is always a higher buy pressure and liquidity at the floor, plus there is no utility differences announced between small and medium, but that may change.

Relative mint size:

Small = 5000/5000 = 1
Medium = 5000/3000 = 1.66
Large = 5000/1000 = 5
Penthouse = 5000/69 = 72.46

Rounded this would be 1 , 2 , 5 , 72.

A Summary:

The suggested is:
Small = 1
Medium = 2
Large = 4
Penthouse = 40

It should be noted that a number of large holders will be able to swing votes. Creating any limits per account will not have any effect, due to Sybil attacks (splitting apartments between accounts). Therefore I will create another Proposal to counter this issue (Voting Incentives).

Disclaimer: I own some of all types of Apartments.

14 Likes

A linear relationship between apt size ~ votes could lead to a stagnation of vote and Webb’s future development or put it simply, direct bribery of vote that is led by the size of (future) capital, somewhat circling us back to the road of traditional business.

I agree with a logistic relationship with size ~ votes, analogous to the quadratic voting as proposed by Vitalik. i.e. the marginal increase in votes due to size increase decreases.

I agree with the item ratio being the main condition.

Regarding using floor price- this could create issues down the track due to lack of listings for rare items- i.e. No penthouses for sale except one that is 99999 ETH, while having a lot of 10 ETH small/medium listings would create exponential voting power for penthouse owners.

1 Like

Small apartments get: 5k total vote power
Medium apartments get: 6k total vote power
Large apartments get: 4k total vote power
Penthouses get: 2.7k total vote power

Small/Mediums being the largest voting powers by activity, and having the largest listing, balances things out between the assets, that are not listed up. However, there are a lot of accounts hoarding the small/medium apartments.

Honestly voting power by the floor makes the most sense, question is, how it should scale if one owns a lot of assets.

1 Like

It is more reasonable to set according the mint price

Agree with ABBBBBBB

Small = 1
Medium = 2
Large = 4
Penthouse = 40

2 Likes

I like 1 vote per owner. Looks more powerful to who is in the community than how much money they have. IRL, we have the power concentrated on people who have more money. They buy needy people’s votes and can influence more people. In Webb3’s case, we could try to avoid it and let people have the same power once the diversity of experiences it’s a powerful tool in product development.

Not sure if it works for people’s equality here, but it’s worth a shot. We are here to make the difference and be more inclusive than web2 and real life.

It sounds great, but in our pseudonymous realm it’s too easy to be sybil attacked and very difficult to prove one person only uses one wallet.

1 Like

Agree with @cry.eth , quadratic voting as specified by Vitalik here: https://twitter.com/vitalikbuterin/status/1203700017787232260?lang=en is way too hard to police/prove. To confirm, a sybil attack is: " A Sybil attack is a type of attack on a computer network service in which an attacker subverts the service’s reputation system by creating a large number of pseudonymous identities and uses them to gain a disproportionately large influence ." In effect, just splitting your apartments into multiple wallets to get increased vote power.

2 Likes

We can save the id of the apartments of that account that voted. However, if another account tries to use the same, it cannot be counted as a vote if someone transfers 1 apartment for each account before the vote is a risk we can’t avoid. This person will pay more tax and look like someone who has a lot of money to do it.

All the vote systems will have some point of risk/failure, and we need to choose what we think it’s the smaller one and try to build something to difficult this point.

In my opinion, all of it is more viable to someone who has money to spend to influence the decision, unfortunately.

good job mate, I love it. makes sense

1 Like